Tips for Tooth-Friendly Christmas
Posted by WELLNESS CENTERED DENTISTRY on Dec 7 2022, 10:21 AM
Between the holiday parties and sweet treats, it can be easy to neglect your oral hygiene routine during the holidays. However, there are a few things you can do to make sure your teeth stay healthy during the holiday season. Here are some ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy this holiday season!
- Keep up with your brushing and flossing schedule. Even if you are eating more sugary foods than usual, make sure you keep up with your regular dental hygiene habits.
- If you think you have sensitive teeth, choose a mouthwash that is gentle on your teeth and gums. Alcohol-free products tend to work best for those with sensitive teeth. If you have acid reflux, you may want to choose an antiseptic mouthwash with fluoride to help prevent tooth decay. Talk to our office if you need help choosing a mouth rinse that’s right for you.
- Drink more water. Drinking water throughout the day can help rinse away food particles and sugar that can lead to tooth decay.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. While the holidays are a time of celebration, it’s important not to eat too many sweets or foods that are high in carbohydrates. Try focusing on vegetables that are high in fiber to keep your blood sugar stable and limit the amount of sugar you consume.
- Avoid swishing sweet drinks like soda in your mouth. This reduces the amount of saliva your mouth produces, which is needed to remove bacteria from your mouth.
- Don’t eat sweets and foods high in sugar – Your teeth aren’t the only part of your body that benefits from a healthy diet! Be sure to avoid eating too many sugary snacks this holiday season and instead stick to a diet full of fruits and vegetables. The vitamins and minerals in these foods can help give your teeth a healthy boost throughout the entire year, not just at Christmas time.
- Wear a mouthguard during sports games. Those who play hockey or other contact sports should wear a mouthguard to protect their teeth against injury.
- See your dentist regularly. Regular cleanings and checkups can help you keep your smile healthy and catch problems early before they turn into more serious issues.
Can’t remember your last cleaning? It’s a good idea to get your teeth cleaned before the holidays so you can enjoy all of your favorite treats without concern.
If you’re looking for an experienced dentist in Redmond who can help you maintain your oral health, we welcome you to call our team at Wellness Centered Dentistry to schedule a consultation today! Consider a Pre-Holiday Dental Cleaning Appointment NOW.